of Using Engineered Earth Armoring Solutions
Reduced Carbon Footprint
- Cradle to grave, the carbon footprint for 1m2 of PYRAMAT 75 is 2.7 kgCO2, more than 10 times less than concrete alternatives.
- Studies have found polypropylene to contain no leachable components (The Blastic Project 2016-2018).
- Our manufacturing facility in Ringgold, GA is ISO 14001 certified. This international certification recognizes that Propex is actively measuring its environmental impact and continuously looking for ways to improve it.
Improved Water Quality
- Filters sediment and pollutants to improve water quality.
- Encourages infiltration of water back into the ground water table.
- The EPA has identified High Performance Turf Reinforcement Mats (HPTRMs) like PYRAMAT® as a Best Management Practice (BMP) for improving water quality.
Supports Natural Habitats:
- Promotes rapid root development and long-term vegetation.
- Supports a living shoreline, whereas hard armoring can decrease streamside vegetation and adversely impact fish populations.
- Maintains a cooler water temperature than traditional hard armoring, which is healthier for aquatic life habitats.
Single-Use Plastics vs. Engineered Plastics
Single Use Plastics:
- Not stabilized to prevent degradation
- Made from various unstable polymers that breakdown to microplastics and leach harmful chemicals
- Discarded quickly and not properly disposed
- Degradation begins immediately
- Susceptible to degradation caused by UV exposure, temperature and oxidation
- Most are stabilized to withstand degradation
- Made from durable Polypropylene that does not leach and resists generation of microplastics
- Designed for long lasting or permanent use
- Functional longevity of up to 200 years
- Engineered to withstand UV exposure, resist corrosion and maintain durability in demanding environments